ICW research and documentation
DOCUMENTING FORCED STERILISATION IN NAMIBIA (2009)
ICW documents coerced sterilization of HIV positive women in Namibia - report available. The Namibia coerced sterilization project was initiated when, during an ICW advocacy workshop for young HIV positive women, 3 of the 30 participants stated that they had been sterilized. This alarming fact initiated a series of focus groups and interviews that did in fact suggest that HIV positive women were being coerced or forced into sterilization by hospital staff - 40 of the 230 women we spoke to.
Women and Girls Living with HIV/AIDS: Overview and Annotated Bibliography (2007)
An overview of a range of issues faced by HIV positive women based largely on ICW research and documentation. Also includes a summary of key texts including a number produced by ICW. Esplen, E. and ICW, February 2007, Sussex: BRIDGE
Available in English, Spanish and French
TREATMENT MAPPINGS (2006)
Now available - results from 3 mappings of HIV positive women's experiences of care, treatment and support in Namibia, Kenya and Tanzania, conducted by ICW.
POSITIVE WOMEN MONITORING CHANGE (2005-on-going)
VOICES AND CHOICES (2002-2004)
- Voices & Choices Thailand - Report from the Voices and Choices Thailand Project (2004)
- The following publication from ICW also uses research from the Thailand Voices and Choices work:
- Oh, this one is infected - ICW's report on Women, HIV and Human Rights in the Asia Pacific region (2004)
- The House of Our Dreams: building a positive future: proceedings of the ICW Voices and Choices workshop, Bobo Djioulasso, Burkina Faso, 1-7 August 2003 (available from ICW in hard copy)
- Voices and Choices Zimbabwe report - Report from the Voices and Choices Project (2002)
Research conducted on SRHR with Ipas
- Reproductive rights for women affected by HIV/AIDS: A project to monitor Millennium Development Goals 5 and 6 (2005), Ipas, Fundación de Estudio e Investigación de la Mujer (FEIM) did so in Argentina, the Gender AIDS Forum in South Africa, the International Community of Women Living with HIV/AIDS (ICW) in Lesotho and Swaziland, de Encuentro de la Comunidad, A.C. (PECAC) in Mexico, and Women Fighting AIDS in Kenya (WOFAK)
- Report from the second trial of the tool, featuring input from ICW Nambia and ICW Botswana.
For more information about this project and the ICW write-ups on our research in Namibia, Botswana, Lesotho and Swaziland.
Research conducted on SRHR, VAW and ACTS with Interact
- ‘Access to Care, Treatment and Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights and Needs of HIV Positive Women in Masindi and Busia Districts, Uganda’, commissioned by Interact Worldwide in collaboration with ICW East Africa (2007). The main objective of the pilot assessment was to establish the current levels of knowledge, service access and the policy environment in Uganda with regard to access to care and treatment, sexual and reproductive health rights (SRHR) as well as violence against women for HIV positive women in order to get a basis for advocacy for the rights of HIV positive women.
ICW member testimonies on SRHR, published by IPPF and ICW
- Dreams and Desires: World AIDS Day - The Reality of Being an HIV Positive Woman Unfolds in 13 Personal Stories. Booklet from the International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF) and ICW, 2004 (pdf)